In Miner Wars, the playable area (Earths solar system) is divided up into areas called sectors. The Miner Wars editor allows players to create and edit playable sectors using a range of tools and features. The editor is available to players using both the test and public versions, however currently only players using test can save sectors.
Current version .074
- Undo function is broken
- Not all prefabs are complete
- Deployable weapons do not appear on the screen whilst in edit mode
- Fuel cannot be refilled, however pressing numlock will reset ship values (may only work on test build and only applies to play mode)
- Not all controls listed in the F1 help screen are correct
A full tutorial on the editor can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kackm4q2CgI
The editor has a range of tools available to build and create a sector. Firstly, players can switch between play mode and edit mode by pressing 0. Sectors can be built by either adding pre fabricated 3d models to build larger overall constructions (stations, ships, bases) or by using voxel hand to design entire game areas. Players are able to view (but not change) each others sectors by choosing the "friends sectors" option inside "sandbox mode", found in the "play game" menu.
The prefab container is a highligted grid area inside of your sector where objects and prefabs will be added. An orange box indicates you are inside the prefab container, a green/yellow box indicates you are outside of the prefab container. The term "inside" refers to being locked to a specific container where new obejcts and prefabs will be automatically added when you select them from the menu. Each container has its own centre handle which allows the user to adjust the position of all prefabs inside the given container. A yellow container indicates you have the centre handle selected of given container. This enables the player to add formations or groups of prefabs and adjust the overall position of each group independently and respectively of each other.
By pressing insert, displaying the object menu allows the user to add prefabs, destructible and indestrucible asteroids, ships, debris and objects into their sector. Asteroid sizes that can be added include combination values of 64, 128, 256 and 512 across the x, y and z axis. Asteroids can be constructed from a range of materials ranging from indestructible types to snow, lava, platinum, helium and ice to name a few. Prefabs are pre fabricated 3d models that can be combined together to create larger overall constructions. There are hundreds of prefabs available and the number of available prefabs continues to increase. See the objects page for more information.
Voxel hand allows the user to build, manipulate and destroy voxel objects, which generally consist of asteroids and other raw material-based objects (not prefabs).
The top menu bar makes a range of additional tools available to the user. The current menu allows you to
• Add, edit, delete, and copy objects with a single click
• Reset, clearing options, save/load, camera options
• Use the “Gizmo” option to change the object handles from positioning on the x, y and z axis to orientation mode. Using this feature, the user is able to change the orientation of the object without changing any position on any axis, for example, if you want to have an object stay in its current position however facing away from the sun.
Object handles in position mode and orientation mode respectively: